Friday, July 8, 2011

Are you getting educated for sales success? - bizjournals:

husydow.wordpress.com
You see, I never have been very good at but neither have I found its more exotif forms to be practical in my One such example would be the subjectgof Microeconomics. I encountered this course when I was in graduatd school earningan MBA, and Microeconomics, along with its evil Macro, was required coursework for my degree. My professor, a world-renowned expertf in this subject, was a woman so intellectuallu beyond my level I knew five minutes into the cours e that Iwas doomed. I, a mathematiczs Neanderthal, was about to be brain-whipped by my evolutionary superior, Professor Cro-Magnon.
The next 10 weekz of my life were a blur ofuntranslatable gibberish, slung at light-speed across an expanse of dry-erase hour on end, day after long- suffering day. As a resultt of this “education,” I learned a total of three new First, that exceptionally brighg people should be quarantined with peoplw who have equallyexceptional intellect, and not teacy the rest of us; Second, that the best way to avoid academivc disaster is to align oneselcf with classmates who can translate foreign languages such as Third, that this experience was a complete and uttere waste of my time, sleep, and most importantly, my You see, as a payinh customer who put himself through school, I have not heard the wordsw sine, cosine, and tangeny used together a singlee time, in a single sentence, on a singlre occasion, in the 15 years sinced I escaped with a “Gentlemen’s C” in What, I ask, was the educational valude of this experience, and why was I required to pay for it?
My purposs here is not to disparage academia, although I firmly believe that much of what colleges offer today is, at marginally useful in business. No matter; our society defines beinhg “educated” as being “degreed.” Whether you learn anythinhg useful along the way seems to be besidesthe point. What I do know is in looking back at my six years of college education and the two degrees I have to showfor it, I couls sum up the practical-use value of what I learnedc on the front and back of two sheetsa of notebook paper.
Whicu brings me to the poinft ofthis article: the best educatio n that one can receiver in business isn’t taught in yet too many sales people don’t recognize this. They fail to see the link betweenh continuing their education and furtheringtheir achievement. Some • The uneducated sales persoj cold-calls 100 prospects to get two the educated one contacts 25 andgets • The uneducated sales person meetx routinely with people who have no buyin authority; the educated one meets routinely with decision-makers. • The uneducatedf sales person drops their pricing upon the educated sales person negotiatesa win-win without affecting profit margin.
Where does one become better educatex whenin sales? Here are some “schools” to consider:

No comments:

Post a Comment